No replies
Another CO 511 question... West of Monument

I went out opening weekend over by Signal Butte, North of Divide. The ATVs and just stupid hunters walking to their stands at 7am drove me mental. Needless to say I won't be going back to that area. However, I am looking at an area West of Monument, between FR 300 and 323, several miles North of Farish. Does anyone have an experience with this area? I mainly chose this because it is fairly thick and fewer roads/atv trails. I have google earthed practically the whole GMU and generally look for water with bedding area nearby and as far away from roads as I can practically get.

I am determined to bag an elk this year, however, I am a cadet at the Air Force Academy, so I can only get out on the weekends, and generally have to stay somewhat close. I would appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks guys. 

Elk Hunt

focus a little further east. The elk in this region tend to like aspen stands and lush vegetation. They also often go to areas of thick vegetation. If your willing to walk down some steep canyons into lush drainages you may have a shot at bagging an elk. If possible though I would reccomend traveling a little further to an otc unit with a higher elk population. But if you can't, don't give up. The bulls should be getting more active pretty soon with the colder weather.

Good luck,

-Tristan

Going East

That's my thought too, however going too far east puts me right on the edge of Monument. I am pretty much stuck with 511 because I don't have time to travel much further. I have generally just been scouring (spelling?) google earth to try to find the largest distance between roads and ATV trails. I am waiting for the rut to kick in and maybe have a shot at getting some bugles. 

Worst part is that I saw two cows within shooting distance the night before archery opened, then nothing but a cow moose the next 2 days.

Unfortunately, the aspen population is slim to none as far as an actual grove of them. I'm guessing not really enough altitude here. THe elk I have seen though have been bedding in it, it's just been too thick to get any kind of shot since they're just sapplings.

Going on a family camping trip over by Grand Lake, so I intend to hit the national forests surrounding it over in Hot Sulphur Springs and other parts of 18.

Going East

That's my thought too, however going too far east puts me right on the edge of Monument. I am pretty much stuck with 511 because I don't have time to travel much further. I have generally just been scouring (spelling?) google earth to try to find the largest distance between roads and ATV trails. I am waiting for the rut to kick in and maybe have a shot at getting some bugles. 

Worst part is that I saw two cows within shooting distance the night before archery opened, then nothing but a cow moose the next 2 days.

Unfortunately, the aspen population is slim to none as far as an actual grove of them. I'm guessing not really enough altitude here. THe elk I have seen though have been bedding in it, it's just been too thick to get any kind of shot since they're just sapplings.

Going on a family camping trip over by Grand Lake, so I intend to hit the national forests surrounding it over in Hot Sulphur Springs and other parts of 18.

Going East

Related Forum Threads You Might Like